Mark your diaries, invite your friends and family from further afield… The 2016 Skerries Soundwaves Festival will in all likelihood take place from Thursday September 22 to Sunday 25 September. Gig at the Mills, Soundwaves Minecraft, Classical Concert in Holmpatrick, Festival Street Party, Night Parade… We’re hoping to squeeze all your favourites, and more, into four fun-filled days.
Welcoming our new chairs, Niamh Q and Edel
We also have not just one, but two new chairpersons: Niamh Quigley and Edel Fitzgerald. Welcome to the helm!
Niamh says: “I was drawn into Soundwaves by Ernestine in 2009, her energy and enthusiasm is infectious. It is a mad busy festival and each year new people come on board so we are always coming up with new ideas for events. This year promises to be bigger than ever with a few twists. As always the support from the people of Skerries is fantastic.”
The other co-chair, Edel Fitzgerald, is from Cork originally, but has become a true Skerries “local” by now, like so many of us blow-ins.
Edel says: “Niamh has plenty of Soundwaves experience and I have over 15 years event management experience, so it makes perfect sense to work together.” Events such as conferences, triathlons and masquerade balls are what Edel worked on during her 15 years in her previous role with Musgrave Retail Partners in Cork and also lent her skills on a voluntary basis to Hot Press Magazine for the Philip Lynott Exhibition that ran in Stephen’s Green Shopping Centre in Dublin and the o2 in London from March 2011 to August 2012. Her remit included managing the art pieces submitted by artists and organizing interviews with past members of Thin Lizzy and old friends of Philip Lynott.
With those two ladies in charge, we can look forward to a great festival for 2016!
Below you can see Niamh Q, Edel, and (in yellow Soundwaves T-Shirts) our two most recent chairs, Gráinne Enright & Ernestine Woelger, without whom we would not have Soundwaves now. Thank you for all your hard work, ladies!
That was Soundwaves 2015
What a festival we had 2015! Here are the events that were on our programme this year. Where there are links, we already have pictures up. Where there aren’t, we hope to have them up within the next week.
Thank you for your support, everybody! It’s one of the many things that make our town such a great place to live in (and to visit).
…. follow the links to see photographs & short reports (as we get the time to update them… work in progress!
- Soundwaves Launch at Skerries Mills, Thur 17 September
- Battle of the Bands: Little Theatre, Fri 18 September
- Night Airs – A Miscellany of Words and Music: Skerries Mills: Sat 19 Sept.
- The Human Collective: Sketches with Foróige Teenagers: Little Theatre: Sat 19 Sept
- Ukulele Orchestra: Skerries Mills: Sun 20 Sept
- Wild Tales: Rockabill Film Society: Sailing Club: Wed 23 Sept.
- Overshadowed – A New Play by Sunday’s Child: Little Theatre: Thurs 24 Sept
- An Evening with Fingal Chamber Choir and Friends: Holmpatrick Church: Fri 25 Sept.
- Tribal Drumming – End of Workshop Concert: Little Theatre: Fri 25 Sept.
- Soundwaves Minecraft Project and Wrap Party 2015.
- Family Fun Pottery and Cake Decorating Events: Skerries Arts School.
- Hansel and Gretel by North Dublin Opera: Little Theatre, Sat 26 Sept.
- Soundwaves Concert at The Mills 2015: THE WALLS with support DARLING plus THE FONTAINES: Skerries Mills, Sat 26 Sept.
- Artwaves Art Trail: Skerries Mills and locations all over Skerries, 17 to 27 September. See also the Artwaves.ie website!
- Mr Toots Mystery Tour: From St Patrick’s Church, Skerries: Sun 27 Sept.
- Soundwaves Street Party: Strand Street, Sun 27 Sept.
- Musical Oasis @ the Soundwaves Street Party: Methodist Church, Sun 27 Sept.
- Tell Me a Story: Holmpatrick N.S.: Sun 27 Sept.
- Night Parade and Fireworks: Community Centre to Skerries Harbour, Sun 27 Sept.